Fine Jacobean oak pulpit

Fine Jacobean oak pulpit
© Copyright text based on Tong Church guide by R.M.C. Jeffery , picture R.P. Stallard
Picture 28 of 45

Previous Previous  Next Next

A fine Jacobean oak pulpit given by Dame Eleanor Harries in 1629. She also gave the Tong Cup and other treasurers. In the early nineteenth century the pulpit was a ‘triple decker’ as shown in a watercolour by David Cox from about 1845, this was at a time of the Latitudinarians greatly enhancing the height from which the minister looked down upon the congregation.


See also:
Silver gilt Tong Cup

Copyright © 2007 through 2015 Discovering Tong